Pastor Jim's Sermon for January 20


First Presbyterian Church of Willmar
January 20, 2013
Sermon:  “To Each Is Given”
I Corinthians 2:1-11

And God spoke to Moses: “[Exodus 3.9-11] The cry of the Israelites has now come to me; I have also seen how the Egyptians oppress them. So come, I will send you to Pharaoh to bring my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt.’ But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?’”

The Lord spoke to Gideon: “[Judges 6:14-15] Then the Lord turned to him and said, ‘Go in this might of yours and deliver Israel from the hand of Midian; I hereby commission you.’ He responded, ‘But sir, how can I deliver Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.’”  The funny thing is that Gideon then raised an army of 32,000 warriors, and the Lord said that with such an army the people might believe that they defeated the Midianites.  God whittled down Gideon’s army to 300 so that when the victory took place they would recognize that the Lord had brought them the victory, not their own effort. 

Then there’s Jonah who fled from the Lord’s call.  And Peter who denied the Lord.  And Paul who murdered Christians.  If you read the genealogy of Jesus found in Matthew 1, you will find a prostitute, several adulterers and a murderer or two.  

The thing about God’s power, God’s love, God’s forgiveness and God’s grace is that it leaves us with no excuses.  Think you’re too big a sinner to be put to God’s purposes?  Think again.  Think that you have some mental or physical shortcoming that means that you could never do anything for the glory of God?  Think again.  Think you have no gifts at all to be put to use by God?  Think again.

We are condemned to forgiveness!  And we are forgiven so that through the grace of God we – even we – can be used for the glory of God and the proclamation of God’s love for all the world.

Some people tell me that they are frightened by all the talk in scripture about the final judgment. First of all, I’m not frightened because I am on speaking terms with the judge – and you should be too.  Second, I’m much too “existential” to even begin to think about something that’s going to happen some time in the future, even if it is tomorrow.  I tend to worry about today, right now, this minute.

I bet I know something that could frighten you much more than worrying about the day of the Lord’s return.  Right now, today, God is calling you.  Right now! 

God is saying to you:  “Pssst!  Come here.  I want to talk with you.  I have something that I want you to do right now.  What’s that?  Well yes, it will change your life.  No, none of that old stuff matters.  I can take care of that.  Put it all behind you.  We need to talk about today.  Don’t tell me that you don’t have any talent.  You have talent.  But even that doesn’t really matter.  I’m going to do the work.  You just need to be there to help with the interpretation.  To close the deal.”

Right now God has something in mind for you to do.  Right now.  Your sins don’t matter.  Your shortcomings don’t matter.  Yesterday’s mistakes don’t matter.  This is a new day.  You have been condemned to forgiveness, redemption, salvation and reconciliation.  God has taken care of all that in Jesus.  All you have to do is believe it and submit to God’s will.  That’s what faith is all about.  By grace God has taken care of all the details.  God has a very big eraser and what you did yesterday – and all the yesterdays beyond that – are gone.  And today God wants your life to change.

Are you still worried about that day of the Lord that Amos describes as “[Amos 5:18-19]
… the day of the Lord? It is darkness, not light; as if someone fled from a lion, and was met by a bear; or went into the house and rested a hand against the wall, and was bitten by a snake.”  Well, I suppose if you have no faith in Christ, if you deny Christ with your life, then maybe you have something to be concerned about.  Do you understand what it means to have faith in Christ?  Do you understand that to have faith in Christ means that you accept the fact that you have been condemned to forgiveness, to redemption, to salvation by the grace of God through the sacrifice and triumph of Jesus?

And if you believe that then you know that before God you have no excuses left.  You can change your life.  You can share God’s love.  You can feel your heart break as you see the world through the eyes of God and ask God what role you can play.  You can be forgiving.  You can be loving.  You can be kind to one another and to all the world. 

Paul tells us “To each – that means you! – is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.”  That means you.  You have been ushered back into God’s presence.  You are God’s beloved. You have been forgiven.  You can’t out-sin God’s love for you.  You have been redeemed.  You have been saved.  You have been transformed. 

You have no more excuses!  That’s the rub.  You have no more excuses!  You have been condemned to forgiveness and given new life.

It’s pretty scary.

Right this minute God is saying to you:  “There’s something I’d like you to do for me.”  Are you listening? 

Amen.



Comments