Meditation for July 16, 2012


Good afternoon. 

In the Gospel today we find the familiar story of the 10 bridesmaids or the foolish bridesmaids.  The 24th and 25th chapters of Matthew are a study in the necessity for watchfulness and preparedness.  In addition to the parable of the bridesmaids, the 25th chapter tells us the parable of the talents and a very descriptive narrative about the day of judgment.  All these three pieces are talking about how we spend our time here on earth, how we use our talents while waiting for Christ’s return, and how we have shared God’s love with one another in the name of Jesus. 

The heart of the Gospel is always about how we live in the here and now, amidst this creation among the people whom God loves.  As Jesus concludes the chapter:  “Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.”  We are saved by faith through grace, and how we live our lives is very important because the way we live reflects our love for God and gratitude to Christ for our salvation and deliverance.  

There’s an old Top-10 list from Letterman listing things to say if you are caught sleeping at your desk. For example, Excuse Number 10 was, "They told me at the blood bank this might happen." Excuse Number 5 was "Darn, why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem." The #1 best thing to say if you get caught napping at your desk was "....in the name of Jesus, Amen."

We all know how to make excuses. The bridesmaids in the parable today had their excuses, too. "The Bridegroom was late." "We misjudged how much oil the lamps would burn." "The lamps are defective." "The other maidens wouldn't share." "Oil is at an all-time high so I didn't want to patronize the dealers."  What Jesus makes clear in this 25th chapter of Matthew is that there is one excuse he doesn’t want to hear, ever:  “I didn’t know you wanted me to do that!”

Don’t spend a moment trying to find the formula for the date of Christ’s return.  Spend all your life living in a state of preparedness, knowing full well what he wants of you.  He wants nothing less than the Lord demanded of the Israelites through the prophets:  Do you know what I want? I want justice—oceans of it.  I want fairness—rivers of it. That's what I want. That's all I want. [Amos 5.24; The Message]” and in Matthew 25: “Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me. [Matthew 25.34-36, NRSV]”

The message is very clear.  The one excuse that will not fly is, “I didn’t know you wanted me to do that!”

Prayer:  Loving Lord, fill us with the spirit of Your love.  Let every moment of our lives reflect our love for You so that all who see us will say: “Truly these people bring glory to the name of God!”  Amen.

Today’s readings are Joshua 2:1-14; Romans 11:1-12; Matthew 25:1-13; Psalm 25, 9 & 15.
Accept the blessing of Psalm 25: “Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.”

Pastor Jim

Comments